INTAF - International Task Force for the Rural Poor
the poorest villagers still live in houses made of mud, straw and dung and sleep on handmade rope beds
a street in an Indian village
getting water from a village pump
the conical-shaped stores of buffalo dung cakes, used for fuel
villagers take the harvest home by bullock cart
International Task Force For The Rural Poor, known as INTAF, was set up following the recommendation of an international seminar on "working with The Rural Poor'', held in a village in India, in Dec. 1988.
INTAF was born out of the realisation that the number of rural poor and the extent of rural poverty are both on the increase.
Even the most well-intentioned policies of various governments to uplift the rural poor have either failed or proved ineffective.
INTAF is an international organisation which seeks to achieve recognition among the world community, for the plight of the rural poor which include the most exploited, oppressed and ignored people of the world. They include tribals, untouchables, the landless, marginal and small farmers.
The aims of INTAF are :
- To identify policies, programmes and projects that are contributing most to the all-round development of the rural poor.
- To publicise these policies, programmes and projects and to help make them as effective as possible.
- To monitor and evaluate the progress of these policies, programmes and projects.
International Journal of Rural Studies published twice a year in cooperation with VRI
Recent articles include:
- Human trafficking in Nigeria and its implications for food security - A.U. Ofuoku, Delta State University, Nigeria
- A voice for the voiceless: The role of community radio in the development of the rural poor - Dr.Dhanraj A Patil, Walchand Institute of Arts and Science, Solapur, Maharashtra, India
- Farmers' technological knowledge of Bt Cotton in Rajsamand, Rajasthan, India - Laad Kumari Sharma, F.L. Sharma and B. Upadhyay, Dept. of Agri. Stats and Computer Application, RCA, Udaipur, India
INTAF’S Eighth International Conference will be held in London on Saturday 18th June 2011 from 11.00 am to 5.00 pm. The conference will be open to all interested persons.The topic of the conference is "Experiences of Working with the Rural Poor". click here for details. On Sunday, 19th June 2011, INTAF will hold its Annual General Meeting for members only.
The following World Assemblies have taken place:-
- Amarpurkashi, India in 1988 - "Working with the Rural Poor"
- Amarpurkashi, India in 1992 - "INTAF Mini Earth Summit"
- London, U.K. in 1995 - "Empowering the Rural Poor"
- Chachikpur, India in 1999 - "The Decline of Rural Poverty"
- Konch, India in 2002 - "Sustainable Livelihoods"
- London, U.K. in 2005 - "Investing in the Rural Poor"
- Amarpurkashi, India in 2008 - "Poverty, Politics and Power"
Conact INTAF in India:International Task Force for the Rural Poor
Amarpurkashi, via Bilari
District Moradabad 202411, U.P., India
Contact the international convenor:Jyoti Singh,
12, Eastleigh Avenue, Harrow, Middlesex HA2 0UF.
Tel:- 0208 864 4740